Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chicken Scallopini and Crispy Smoked Mozzarella with Honey and Figs

This is starting to really pay off.  Everyone is actually excited about what I'm going to make for dinner. That never happened before. It energizes me to go grocery shopping and cook after a day of teaching and chauffeuring.  It feels like playing house when you are little and it's fun, not work. It makes it all worth it when I hear them say "I love this recipe. Keep it!" Or they ask if I can repeat the same one again the next day. Both of these were keepers. The sauce for the chicken took a few steps of evaporating wine (Pinot Grigio)/broth and was very flavorful but never thickened. I don't know why. I did not find Saffron at the store which might have made it too spicy for the kids anyway.  I served it with Parmesan Couscous and Okinawan Sweet Potato. For the dessert I bought whole wheat organic filo dough which I have never used before. It is extremely fragile and rips easily. It was stressing me out so I let my daughter wrap the Mozzarella cheese inside. She thought it was fun.
I have never fried anything in my life so I was a bit nervous about the idea of heating up oil (used Coconut instead of vegetable) to 350 degrees. It felt like a disaster waiting to happen. It was hot and messy but overall not as dangerous as expected. The figs and honey on the toasted filo and gooey melted cheese were fabulous. My S.M. is more of a chocolate aficionado and took a bite just to apease me and said "Fu%$^! These are great!" and continued to eat the whole thing. Giada said she ate these in Santorini with Feta instead of the smoked mozzarella and I think next time I would try it with Feta. I have been to Santorini and had Baklava but not these. It is a gorgeous place that looks just like you dreamed it would from watching Mama Mia.


















No comments:

Post a Comment